I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other,
If not, it can’t be helped.
(Fritz Perls, 1969)
- «I am not in this world to live up to other people’s expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine.
- «Learning is the discovery that something is possible.»
- «Our dependency makes slaves out of us, especially if this dependency is a dependency of our self-esteem. If you need encouragement, praise, pats on the back from everybody, then you make everybody your judge.
- «To mature means to take responsibility for your life, to be on your own. Psychoanalysis fosters the infantile state by considering that the past is responsible for the illness.»
- «…nobody can stand truth if it is told to him. Truth can be tolerated only if you discover it yourself because then, the pride of discovery makes the truth palatable.»
- «Lose your mind and come to your senses.»
- «You cannot achieve happiness. Happiness happens and is a transitory stage. Imagine how happy I felt when I got relief from bladder pressure. How long did that happiness last?»
- «The only difference between the wise man and the fool is that the wise man knows he is playing.»