The book list for 2016 reflects my interest in environmental studies, and my return to psychotherapy. The field of political philosophy is also in a state of transition, with emerging global theories and a re-examination of the idea of nation states.
- Nancy McWilliams: Psychoanalytic Diagnosis, Second Edition: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process 2011.
- Pope, Ken: Ethics in Psychotherapy & Counseling: A Practical Guide (5th edition), Wiley, January 26, 2016.
- Charles, Marilyn: Working with Trauma: Lessons from Bion and Lacan. 2013. Lanham, Md.: Jason Aronson, Inc.
- Parker, Ian: Psychology After Lacan: Connecting the Clinic and Research. 2014. 1 edition. London ; New York: Routledge.
- Styron, William: Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness. 1992. 1st edition. New York: Vintage. A first-person account of depression.
- Leclaire, Serge: A Child Is Being Killed: On Primary Narcissism and the Death Drive. 1998
- Bloom, Dan, and Philip Brownell. 2011. Continuity and Change: Gestalt Therapy Now. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Lehar, Steven M. 2013. The World in Your Head: A Gestalt View of the Mechanism of Conscious Experience. Reprint edition. Hove: Psychology Press.
- Steve Silberman: NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity. 2015.
- John Donvan, Caren Zucker: In a Different Key: The Story of Autism First Edition. 2016.
- Inwagen, Peter van. 2014. Metaphysics. 4 edition., Westview Press.
- Western Philosophy: An Anthology 2nd Edition by John G. Cottingham. 2007.
- C.C.W. Taylor: Socrates. A very Short Introduction.
- Ruben, David-Hillel. 2012. Explaining Explanation. Second edition. Boulder: Routledge. A philosophical analysis of the concept of explanation.
- Gore, Al. 2013. The Future: Six Drivers of Global Change. First Edition. New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks.
Devji, Faisal. 2013. Muslim Zion: Pakistan as a Political Idea.Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Bear, Laura. 2015. Navigating Austerity: Currents of Debt along a South Asian River.Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
- Cameron, David. 2016. Against Corruption: A Book of Essays. The current British Prime Minister writes about the problem of corruption, with contributions from many other politicians. This is a free Kindle book.
- Timothy Morton: Dark Ecology: For a Logic of Future Coexistence.(The Wellek Library Lectures) Hardcover. 2016
- Bruno Latour: Reassembling the Political. 2014. Pluto Press.
- Second Edition. SAGE Publications Ltd. Representation: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices. 2013.
- Poulantzas, Nicos, and Stuart Hall: State, Power, Socialism. London ; New York: Verso, 2014. Print.
- Keegan, John. 1994. A History of Warfare.. First Edition. New York: Vintage.
- Sachs, Jeffrey D., and Ki-moon Ban. The Age of Sustainable Development. New York: Columbia University Press, 2015.
- Klein, Naomi. This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate. Reprint edition. Simon & Schuster, 2015
- Cronon, William, Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature, W. W. Norton & Company, 1996
- Freinkel, Susan, Plastic: A Toxic Love Story,Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2011
- Manning, Richard, Against the Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization, North Point Press, 2005
- McDonough, William, Michael Braungart, President Bill Clinton, The Upcycle: Beyond Sustainability–Designing for Abundance, North Point Press, 2013
- McNeill, J.R., Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World, W. W. Norton & Company, 2001
- Montgomery, David R., Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations, University of California Press; With a New Preface edition, 2012
- Orlov, Dmitry, The Five Stages of Collapse: Survivors’ Toolkit, New Society Publishers, 2013
- Stolzenburg, William, Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death, and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators,Bloomsbury USA, 2009
- Weisman, Alan, Countdown: Our Last, Best Hope for a Future on Earth?, Back Bay Books, 2014
- Worster, Donald, Nature’s Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas(Studies in Environment and History), Cambridge University Press; 2 edition, 1994
- Jonathan Balcombe: What a Fish Knows: The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins. 2016
- Harari, Y. N. (2015). Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind (1st edition). New York: Harper. A very readable anthropological review of the history of our species.
- Carlo Rovelli is one of the founders of loop quantum gravity and one of the leading candidates for achieving the reconciliation between the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, along with string theory. His recent book “Seven Brief Lessons in Physics” is an excellent overview of the current understanding of the universe from the point of view of a physicist.